Monday, April 16, 2012

Fascinating Faces

I have mentioned before my fascination with taking photos of public art, and actually, the fact that some of my favourite photos come from art installations has made me pay more attention to public art. It's like art inspiring art.(There was a lot of "art" in those two sentences, I know).
A few of my other posts with public art are found here, here, here & here.
The first 3 photos here were taken in North Vancouver in a newly restored and developed area called "The Shipyards". I couldn't find very much info about the art or artist who created this wall mural and installation of a larger-than-life filing cabinet drawer holding hundreds of shipyard workers' timecards, but they definitely caught my eye.




I walked by this art installation in downtown Vancouver during our second macaron crawl and just had to stop and snap a few photos. In researching the piece I learned that, the artist (Kota Ezawa) in fact made the wooden tableau from a photograph of a town hall meeting. And that her work is a "comment on the role of photography in shaping our perception of reality."
The fact that I felt the need to photograph the tableau seems ironic or cyclical in someway - especially since in the second photo, I was trying to capture how the tableau had a great layered, 3D quality from the front, but from the side, the illusion of it was sort of broken because the people were rendered "flat" again.




All photos taken with my Olympus Pen F and Kodak Portra 400 film.

No comments:

Post a Comment